October Gardening Weeks 1, 2, 3 & 4
▪ Water plants as required. This is necessary if the fall is dry, and will help plants overwinter.
▪ Adjust automatic watering systems: reduce watering frequency, especially on the lawn!
▪ Leaf removal should be done throughout the month. Read this blog post for City of Vancouver regulations concerning leaf pick up.
▪ Plant annuals: pansies and mums add splashes of colour, and kale is a great way to add colour that’s also edible!
Hedges & Broadleaf Evergreens:
▪ Trim hedges for a tidy look all winter long.
▪ Apply a slow-release granular fertilizer to early flowering broadleaf evergreens including Rhododendron, Azalea, Sarcoccoca (sweetbox), and Choisya (Mexican mock orange)
▪ Continue to mow your lawn so long as it is required.
▪ Water only if the autumn is dry, and reduce watering on saturated patches.
- Have slippery pathways and concrete surfaces pressure washed to remove moss and mildew build-up.